Table of Contents
The original is from Neal's mom's cookbook, scanned in below. This version doubles and thickens the original, implementing the changes I wrote on my printout.
- 2 lb ground beef
- 3 cups carrots, peeled & diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 8 tbsp butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 10 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 16 oz Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 3 cups milk
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Red pepper
- In giant pot: brown beef, drain, set aside.
- In same pot: saute carrots and basil in 2-tbsp butter until tender (~10 minutes)
- Add broth, potatoes, and beef; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes (or until potatoes are tender).
- Meanwhile, make the roux: in small saucepan, melt 6-tbsp butter, add flour, cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Time this so it's ready when the above is done.
- Add the roux to the soup, bring to boil, cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese, milk, salt, and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Throw some red pepper in there.
- Remove from heat, blend in sour cream.
Yields 4.5 quarts.
cheeseburger_soup.txt · Last modified: 2013/06/16 06:22 by tkbletsc