Table of Contents
To fix some nits:
Right click desktop | personalize
- enable transparency → off (maybe)
- sounds - start navigation - none (kills that annoying click every time you open a folder)
- color, wallpaper, etc.
- Hit alt to show the menu
- view | details
- view | status bar
- tools | folder options
- general tab
- navigation pane
- show all folders → on
- automatically expand to current folder → on
- view tab
- always show menus → on
- display the full path in the title bar → on
- show hidden files, folders, and drives → on (if you want)
- hide extensions for known file types → off
- show preview handlers in preview pane → off (maybe)
delete instead of recycle
right click recycle bin | properties
- don't move files to the recycle bin → enable (maybe)
win+pause/break to get to system properties
- "advanced system settings" on the left to get to the REAL system properties
- advanced tab
- performance | setttings | turn off candy as desired
- startup and recovery | settings | automatically restart → off
enable auto login
- Click Start, click Run, and type "control userpasswords2". This is a shortcut instead of having to click on Start → Control Panel → User Accounts.
- Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" check box.
- Click Apply.
- Enter the user name and password you wish to automatically log on with, and then click OK.
- Click OK again and you're all done.
show keyboard shortcut underlines
- Start, type "ease", select 'Ease of Access Center'.
- Click 'Make the keyboard easier to use'.
- Tick ‘Underline keyboard shortcuts and access keys’
Default explorer to My Computer
If you don't want to see the libraries every time you open explorer, change the shortcut to:
Kill Windows 10 Upgrade message
Install "GWX Control Panel" and have it disable the "Get Windows 10" crap. Alternately, uninstall and disable update KB3035583.
3D Bronze cursor theme
- Extract this file somewhere
- Start | "mouse" | Pointers tab
- Save a new profile "3D Bronze"
- For each cursor in the ZIP, change the corresponding entry to it